It’s June 7th three weeks since I had to say good-bye to Nikki.


Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

For Audio Click on the Arrow.


Nikki and Aaron - breeder's photo

Nikki (right) and Aaron. The first time I laid eyes on them. A digital photo from their breeder.

As I review Nikki’s story and continue to research additional cancer and canine osteosarcoma (K9 OSA) treatments, I find there are alternatives I might have chosen had I known about them at the time. I am telling you this only so you know there are options.

Am I reviewing with a shoulda’, woulda’, coulda’ attitude? No way. I am trying to understand the progression, the hows and the whys.

Am I faulting myself for any of my choices? No, absolutely not. Everything I did was with the utmost love for a soul I will cherish eternally.

When Nikki was originally diagnosed with osteosarcoma in his left distal radius, I was told that amputation was not an option due to Nikki’s size and the fact that the tumor was in a front, weight-bearing leg.

It set a path for us which focused my direction on saving Nikki’s leg and regrowing the bone. I now know that older, heavier, and larger dogs have made good candidates for amputation.

I had no thoughts of metastasis. The concept never entered my consciousness. I so believed we could beat this disease even though Dr. Sam said that once an osteosarcoma was diagnosed, it had probably already spread. I don’t believe it had at that point, but I will never know for sure.

Nikki and I tried many treatments before being presented with, and settling on, neoplasene. We talked to herbalists, tried herbal combinations, minerals, and supplements, researched the net, tried MMS, DMSO… All I am sure helped to some degree, along with our positive attitude.

I don’t know if there was metastasis at this point. I just knew that osteosarcoma is unbelievably aggressive and the clock was ticking. I was familiar with the miracles that bloodroot can accomplish and that as an herb it seeks and targets cancers.

Neoplasene is a bloodroot derivative. It works via the immune system, attacks metastatic cancers, and has an oral protocol for osteosarcoma. Its drawbacks are that it is very hard on the digestion and doesn’t allow for any other treatment while using neoplasene.

Had I been able, would I have continued with some of what I was using along with the neoplasene? Yes.

X-rays told us that little was accomplished for the primary tumor in over two months using the neoplasene alone, and we had upped the dosage to what Dr. Sam thought was the acceptable limit.

There was a tremendous amount of bone loss and when it became obvious that Nikki could manage on three legs, Dr. Sam suggested, even pressed for, amputation. He said that even if I did stop the progression of the tumor and could get bone to regrow, the best that could be done was that the bone would fuse and there would be no range of motion in the leg.

I must add here that Nikki was not on pain meds, he was eating well, wearing his zero point energy medallion, his quality of life was great, his tail was wagging, and he was playing ball every morning.

Should I have opted for amputation at that time? Maybe. Nikki and my guides said that Nikki could be fine as a tripod dog. I asked Nikki how many legs he had.

“Four,” he said.

Then I asked, “If we amputate your bad leg, how many legs will you have?”

“Four,” was the answer.

At the time I understood his answer to mean that after surgery, he would be shocked to find he had only three legs. I now understand it to mean that a dog doesn’t define the difference the way a human would. For a dog, three legs are the same as four and they adapt.

Was there metastasis at that time? I don’t know. The chest X-ray was to be taken prior to amputation. And I was still intently focused on bringing down the tumor and regrowing the bone.

Since Dr. Sam underlined the fact that Dr. Fox insisted the neoplasene was not to be used in conjunction with any other therapy and there was no positive change in the tumor, I asked Dr. Sam if we could use the injectible neoplasene to eliminate the tumor. He hesitatingly agreed. We ordered the injectible and then Dr. Sam voiced his concerns.

So I opted for radiation hormesis instead and taped low level radiation stones over the tumor. The treatment was not systemic in the sense that it was not an herb, an antioxidant, or anti-inflammatory that would conflict with the neoplasene protocol. The stones worked to keep the angry, aggressive tumor at bay. But still more was needed.

Nikki snuggling with his Aunt Leslie

Nikki snuggling with his Aunt Leslie

Meanwhile, I was using the Dinshah light method to keep Nikki comfortable. He loved the orange light which is a liver builder and calcium enhancer. Orange is a combination of yellow which is used for lymphatic drainage and red, a red blood cell rebuilder. We also used indigo which helps to shrink tumors.

Along with this, we were playing Sound Wave Energy Tapes for bone regrowth, giving Nikki orthosilicic acid, magnesium, and Bone Up, among other things, to help with bone rebuilding.

But no obvious progress was being made until a client introduced me to the Emotion Code. Since I was adept at psychic healing, I found it was an easy fit and we began to clear Nikki’s trapped emotions.

This helped. But it wasn’t until some weeks later that we finally arrived at the Trapped Self-Anger he had held for 43 lives and he allowed me to clear it. Once relieved of this burden, Nik agreed to accept the “hotter” radiation stones. Now we saw rapid results.

Was there metastasis at this time? I don’t know. The concept still wasn’t in my thoughts. I just wanted that tumor gone and my Nikki to be well again.

The tumor went from the size of a small beach ball to less than the size of a tennis ball. Oh joy! Nikki was still eating well, playing and in good spirits. He was wolfing down yogurt and cream cheese to help buffer the neoplasene which I know was giving him tummy aches.

With this happening, I delayed yet another X-ray with Dr. Sam, hoping that in a couple of weeks we could see some bone regrowth.

Now we were introduced to an Ayurvedic doctor who was not only reputed to have amazing results with near-death cancer patients and had regrown the brains of injured soldiers, but in four days, as fantastic as this seems, brought about an amazing change in a client’s nephew who had a brain injury at birth. After trying for 28 years to find answers for her nephew, an angry, sullen autistic young man was whizzing through workbooks, saying words she and his parents never even knew he knew, and he actually told her, “Auntie Meg, I’m all better now.”

Okay, this doctor is about regrowth, I thought. We have bone that needs regrowing. So Nikki went on Ayurvedic herbs. In the next weeks, the tumor stayed about the same, but Nikki grew stronger. His fur, which had gotten a reddish tinge with his illness, became jet black again. He even went outside into the yard without waiting for me to accompany him.

I thought our prayers were being answered. Nikki would be well again, I was overjoyed.

Nik became even more active and injured his back. In retrospect I wonder if it was a back injury or metastasis. I will never know. But in a couple of days, he was back to playing ball. So okay, things are moving in the right direction again, I thought.

In a few more days, the same injury repeated. I decided to splint his bad leg to give him some support and used an electrical acupoint stimulator to rebalance him and ease the pain. In less than a week he seemed better.

Since the tumor appeared to be under control and Nikki looked stronger, focus was now on regrowing the bone. The Ayurvedic doctor suggested cutting back the neoplasene. Was this a mistake? I think so. Was there already metastasis? Maybe.

In addition, he cut back a very strong immune system supplement. I really didn’t know this at the time since I hadn’t a clue what the herbal combination supplements did. I was told that they worked synergistically to accomplish what was not indicated on the labels. And if they were individually muscle tested, the results wouldn’t be accurate.

I was living on faith. Things seemed to be under Divine Guidance, so Nikki and I kept going on our journey.

In less than two weeks, his tumor caught fire, returned to beach ball size and no matter what we did, even getting hotter stones, the die was cast. My guess is that without the checks of the neoplasene, the herbs that regrew body parts were also regrowing the tumor with a vengeance.

We stopped all the herbs.

But Nikki was tiring of the fight. We had been at it for eight months. Amputation was now the only option.

I called Dr. Sam and, petrified at the thought, set up his surgery date.

After a rough weekend, I asked Dr. Sam to move the surgery up a day. Nikki was now suffering and taking tramadol for pain. The tumor was totally out of control.

On May 16, Nikki and I and my dear friend Hollye went to Dr. Sam’s clinic. Since it was not his usual surgery day, and Dr. Sam was working us in, we sat in the waiting room and waited.

We checked Nikki’s weight. He had lost over three pounds in two weeks. Now down to fifty pounds and feeling weak, I lifted him onto my lap and we waited.

“Nice lap dog you have there,” Dr. Sam said, coming out into the waiting room.

“Yes,” I said almost to myself.

“Well, let’s take some radiographs and see where we go from here”

“I don’t care if he has lung tumors, we will still go with the amputation,” I blurted out.

Obviously shocked, Dr. Sam said nothing.

Nik and I slowly walked to the exam room. Nikki was lifted onto the table and was given a mild pre-op anesthetic so that he could go from the X-ray room to surgery.

“Oh, his vertebrae is exploding,” Dr. Sam said softly, studying the radiograph.

“We have to put him down right now,” I said and I gently kissed my sweet, sleeping Nikki good-bye.


The last photo of Nikki (right) and Aaron together in this life

Would I have done something differently?

Yes. I wouldn’t have cut back on the neoplasene. I didn’t think of the Ayurvedic medicine as conflicting with the neoplasene. In my mind it was an attempt to regrow bone. Obviously the herbs did conflict. And the strict, no other treatment dictum by Dr. Fox was broken.

Would it have made a difference if I had not cut back on the neoplasene and still continued with the Ayurvedic herbs? I don’t know.

Would I have chosen a different treatment from neoplasene? Very possibly if I had known about some of the things I know now and have presented in

I would have added the Budwig Diet. Avemar plus Beta Glucan work on the immune system. There is also K9 Immunity.

A tumor’s blood supply can be cut off with Vascustatin.

And I definitely would have included pancreatic (digestive) enzymes.  I may have combined multiple approaches if they had been presented to me.

Would it have made a difference? I don’t know.

Had I understood metastasis and the imperative for removal of the affected limb, would I have amputated? Possibly. But the option wasn’t initially offered.

Would Nikki have survived the surgery if it had been undertaken at any time during this journey? I’d like to think so. But I don’t know.

Would we, no matter what we would have done, still see Nikki leave May 16 with the Wezak Moon? Maybe. Except Nikki’s Story would have described a different K9 OSA journey.



Filed under: Nikki's Story

Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!