Immunotherapy for Canine Osteosarcoma
When a dog is treated for canine osteosarcoma strictly with mainstream options: surgery, chemotherapy and radiation, we know that the statistics show these methods alone don’t work. While they can reduce the number of cancer cells present in the body, they don’t address the underlying cause, and prognosis for most osteosarcoma patients is dismal.
However, today most researchers believe the underlying issue is an immune system dysfunction – a failure of the body to recognize the aberrant cancer cells as invaders. When the normal recognition responses are triggered, the body will address the cancer like any other wound to heal it and leave scar tissue.
There is also a third very compelling approach that employs large doses of pancreatic enzymes which should not be overlooked. Had I know about this area of treatment when Nikki was diagnosed with bone cancer, I would have jumped on it as a major part of his treatment as well as included immune enhancers. Look under the category “Enzyme Therapy” for more information.
Surgery, radiation and chemotherapy are only one segment of treatment. Natural immune activating compounds to stimulate the body to recognize the cancer are also needed. A combination approach, reducing the mass of the tumor while addressing the underlying immune dysfunction, provides the best results.
Fortunately, there are natural immunostimulating supplements recognized for their effectiveness in treating cancer.
One such supplement is Beta Glucan, a powerful immune enhancer. Studies report that beta glucan can inhibit cancerous tumor growth, reduce tumor proliferation and prevent metastasis. The compounds enhance the activity of macrophages and natural killer (NK) cells which are responsible for the elimination of foreign cells, such as bacteria and viruses, as well as mutated cancer cells. They, additionally, activate neutrophils, a type of white blood cell, which aren’t normally involved in the fight against cancer.
The video describes the effects of Beta Glucan 1,3D on the immune system. This is basically how it works:
Taken orally, Beta Glucan passes thru the stomach, is taken up through specialized regions in the small intestines called Peyer’s patches where M cells (microfold cells) pick up and transfer the Beta Glucan particles into the body and present them to innate immune cells call phagocytes (cells that eat). The phagocytes transport the beta glucans through the lymphatic system to immune organs throughout the body. While in the immune organs, the phagocytes digest the beta glucans into smaller fragments and slowly release glucan molecules over a number of days. These molecules bind to neutrophils (a type of white blood cell), macrophages, and NK cells via the compliment receptor which primes them for activity. The neutrophils and other immune cells now navigate faster to the site of a foreign challenge, an operation called chemotaxis. With beta glucan already present, the primed cells simply need to bind to the compliment on a bacteria or virus cell to activate the enhanced killing ability of these immune cells.
Neutrophils don’t usually recognize cancerous tissue as non-self, so are not normally involved in the fight against cancer. But when antibodies bind to cancer cells and attract the compliment, the primed neutrophils can now identify cancer cells as non-self and start killing them as if they were yeast.
In his book Dog Cancer The Holistic Answer, Dr. Steven Eisen suggests purchasing 500 mg. capsules and dosing 250 mg, with meals, twice daily for every 25 pounds of dog for the first six weeks of dosing.
After six weeks, drop down to one-quarter of the dose. And maintain this dose for the rest of your dog’s life.
- In other words, dosage for dogs with osteosarcoma, weighing 25 pounds or less, is 250 mg. (one-half capsule), with meals, twice daily for 6 weeks.
- If your dog weighs 50 pounds, he or she would take 500 mg. (one capsule), twice daily, in meals, for 6 weeks.
- If your dog is 75 pounds the dose is 750 mg. (one and one-half capsule) twice daily, for 6 weeks.
After 6 weeks, drop the dose to one-quarter of the amount.
- This means a dog weighing 25 would take one-eighth of a capsule twice daily with meals.
- A 50 pound dog would take one-quarter of a capsule twice daily with meals.
- A 75 pound dog would take three-eighths of a capsule twice daily with meals.
Calling herbal products “the big guns of the holistic cancer protocol,”holistic veterinarian Dr. Joe Demers, DVM, CVA, CVH. feels that “every patient has to be on the PetLife / LifeOne (identical human version to PetLife) herbal formula to have a consistent success rate.”
He emphatically states that it’s the best immune enhancing product on the market today and suggests using it along with a multi-pronged approach that includes: beta glucan, omega 3 fatty acids, greens formulas, digestive enzymes, an anti-angiogenesis supplement like VacuStatin, glandulars (liver, thymus, thyroid extracts), homeopathy, and homotoxicology.
Dr. Deemers explains that PetLife Formula is the only formula to inhibit all seven procancer events as described by John Boik (2001), acupuncturist, researcher, and author of Natural Compounds in Cancer Therapy in which he explains the cancer process and tells how to address each one with natural products. While not all cancer develops in this way, the general cancer scenario occurs in the following manner:
It is the only formula to inhibit all seven pro-cancer events as described by John Boik (2001), acupuncturist, researcher, and author of Natural Compounds in Cancer Therapy in which he explains the cancer process and tells how to address each one with natural products. While not all cancer develops in this way, the general cancer scenario occurs in the following manner:
- Induction of Genetic Instability. Meaning, the cancer cell carries genetic instability to be able to mutate and adapt to its environment.
- Abnormal Expression of Genes. There are genes that can produce proteins that act to promote or to inhibit a cell’s cancer growth. A cancer cell has an abnormal amount of the promoting genes and too few of the genes that inhibit.
- Abnormal Signal Transduction. Signal transduction is the process whereby signals from outside the cell travel to the nucleus to promote cellular activity. In cancer cells, the volume of external signals increase to favor proliferation and metastasis. External signals are created, in part, by growth factor molecules which stimulate cell activities and, in part, by cell adhesion molecules which promote cell contact and uptake of information from the surrounding environment. In cancer cells, signal transduction increases growth factors from extracellular reception or intra-cellular production increases to change the cell adhesion factors.
- Abnormal Cell-to-Cell Communication. Normally cells communicate through signals to regulate growth, proliferation, and death of each individual cell. In cancer cells, this communication does not occur and the cells act independently.
- Induction of Angiogenesis. Angiogenesis (the growth of new blood vessels) is needed for cancer cell proliferation and tumor development. As cancer cell growth begins, a local hypoxic (lack of oxygen) environment develops which promotes angiogenesis. It causes excessive lactic acid to be produced in the cell and burns glucose excessively. This results in increased serum lactic acid and insulin levels.
- Invasion and Metastasis. Cancer cells have to be able to invade normal tissue to grow locally as well as spread via blood and lymph to other locations for distal growth.
- Immune Evasion. Cancer cells shield themselves from the immune system to evade destruction.
To halt these 7 pro-cancer events, actions must be taken to:
- Reduce Genetic Instability.
- Inhibit Abnormal Expression of Genes.
- Inhibit Abnormal Signal Transduction.
- Encourage Normal Cell-to-Cell Communication.
- Inhibit Tumor Angiogenesis.
- Inhibit Invasion and Metastasis.
- Increase Immune Response.
The ingredients in PetLife/LifeOne Formula are:
- Chrysin. A flavonoid-antioxidant from the passion flower which inhibits 6 of 7 pro-cancer events, enhances Tumor Necrosis Factor (TNF), and blocks abnormal hormone action.
- Coriolus versicolor. A mushroom extract that powerfully stimulates the immune system by increasing the cytotoxicity of natural killer cells. It arrests 4 of the 7 pro-cancer events, and checks the invasion of metastatic cancer cells as well as local proliferation.
- Diindolymethane (DIM). A phytochemical from cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, that has strong anti-estrogen abilities on cancer cells. It arrests the adhesion, motility, and invasiveness of cancer cells, and blocks 5 of 7 pro-cancer events.
- Resverstrol. An antioxidant from grapes and wine which acts to inhibit platelet aggregation, an anti-inflammatory, checks 6 of the 7 pro-cancer events, halts insulin resistance, and impedes abnormal estrogen action.
- Tumeric Extract (Curcumin). A potent antioxidant and strong anti-inflammatory which also inhibits insulin resistance, cancer cell proliferation, metastasis, and 5 of the7 pro-cancer events.
- Green Tea Extract (GTE). A group of flavonoid-antioxidants containing epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), the primary anticancer agent Acts as an antioxidant in-vitro and in-vivo anticancer activity which inhibits 6 of the 7 pro-cancer events.
Quercetin. A flavonoid-antioxidant from fruits and vegetables that induces cell apoptosis, a strong anti-inflammatory that stabilizes basophils and mast cells. Reduces cholesterol and LDL and inhibits 6 of the 7 pro-cancer events. .
- L-Selenium Methionine. Organic form of selenium. It acts as an antioxidant, inhibits 6 of the 7 pro-cancer events, and has powerful immune stimulating effects. Helps restore plasma selenium levels that are low in cancer patients.
- Liposomal Delivery System. A delivery system which maximizes cellular uptake and prolongs circulation of the formula.
Reference link at bottom of page: A Holistic Approach for the Treatment of Cancer by Joe Demers, DVM, CVA, CVH*
Veterinarian recommended dosage: 1 cc/per 10 pounds of body weight three times daily.
Avemar, Ave, and AveULTRA
Avemar is a super immune builder shown by scientific research to eliminate tumors quickly in 80% of laboratory animals studied. It amazingly induces apoptosis (programmed cell suicide) in cancer cells twenty-four hours after taking it. It is anti-inflammatory and, additionally, supports detoxification, helping the body to rid itself of the dead cancer cells and toxins that have formed during apoptosis.
The natural nutrient compound, made from wheat germ extract (Triticum vulgaris) fermented by bakers yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Avemar is non-toxic with essentially no side effects.
An approved therapy for cancer patients in Hungary, where it was developed, the wonder nutrient is classified as a “dietary food for special medical purposes.” Extensive toxicity and safety testing has awarded Avemar with a GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) designation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), describing it as having “the toxicological profile of bread.”
Avemar’s development was initiated by recipient of the Nobel Prize for the discovery of vitamin C Dr. Albert Szent-Györgyi , who theorized that supplemental quantities of the naturally occurring compound methoxy-substituted benzoquinones (DMBQ) would help regulate the processes of cellular metabolism and support mechanisms of immune system regulation. However, Szent-Györgyi did not prove his theory before he died and the gauntlet was picked up by fellow Hungarian Mate Hidvegi who continued the research and invented Avemar.
The 100% natural, standardized nutrient is found in AveUltra, manufactured by American Biosciences in the U.S., and Ave, manufactured in Hungary by Biropharma. Both second generation Avemar products, they utilize the new, improved freeze-dried processing and are sugar-free, using natural stevia as their sweetener. These are the only two Avemar products I would personally recommend. (The brand name Avemar, as opposed to the ingredient Avemar, contains fructose and Oncomar, while also a second generation Avemar product, lists the chemical sweetener sucralose in their literature.)
What Can Avemar Do?
Avemar has been shown to:
- Prevent development of cancerous and precancerous lesions.
- Reduce incidence and number of metastatic cancers.
- Lengthen time of cancer recurrence following surgery, radiation and chemotherapy.
- Enhance, without interfering with, the anticancer effects of chemotherapies.
- Enhance quality of life, physical condition, and performance of late stage and other cancer patients.
- Decrease severity of immune suppressive effects of surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy anticancer therapies.
- Prevent immunosuppressive side-effects.
- Speed recovery of normal immune functions following immunosuppressive therapies.
- Prevent opportunistic infection and sepsis.
- Prevent cancer related cachexia (physical wasting with loss of weight and muscle mass).
- Reduce fatigue in late stage cancer patients.
- Prevent cancer cell proliferation.
- Inhibit cancer cell motility (metastasis).
- Stimulate cancer cell apoptosis (cell death).
- Enhance the ability of the immune system’s NK cells to identify and kill cancerous and other target cells by down regulating the presentation of MHC-I molecules on infected cells.
- Stimulate the production of the immune system’s TNF-alpha by macrophages.
- Enhance tumor invasive potential of immune system cells by up-regulatingICAM-A molecules in microvascular endothelial cells.
- Up-regulates Th1(cellular) immune function while inhibiting Th2 (humoral) immune function.
- And additionally, reduces inflammation and symptoms of Rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and other autoimmune diseases associated with the predominance of Th2 over Th1 immune response.
How does Avemar Work?
- Selectively inhibits glucose metabolism in cancer cells. Cancer cells use 10 to 50 times the glucose that normal cells do. By starving cancer cells of the glucose they need, Avemar helps cancer cells behave less like cancer cells and more like normal cells.
- Assists mechanisms of apoptosis, programmed cell death. Avemar enhances the effectiveness of conventional and herbal therapies that kill cancer cells while reducing the frequency and severity of many common side effects: like nausea, fatigue, weight loss and immune suppression that result from chemotherapy and radiation.
- Unmasks the Enemy. Cancer cells elude the immune system’s Natural Killer (NK) cells (its first line of defense) with a false cell membrane that says “don’t attack me, I am one of the good guys.” Avemar improves NK cell recognition of tumors to increase cancer cell targeting and death.
- Helps to enhance the immune system’s coordinated functioning. Avemar was shown to speed the recovery of immune function following radiation and chemo, inhibit immune suppression, improve Natural Killer (NK) cell recognition of target cells, enhance immune system regulation and increase the invasive potential of white blood cells, helping them cross through blood vessel walls and into tumors.
How to Dose Your Dog
To dose your dog, mix Ave or AveUltra with a little cold water and then mix it into food. You can add it to yogurt or put it into capsules, providing lots of water to dilute the Avemar. Avemar is best to consume within 30 minutes of mixing.
Dr. Steven Eisen suggests the following dosages:
- One-quarter sachet daily for a dog less than 25 pounds.
- One-half sachet daily for a dog 25 -50 pounds.
- One sachet daily for a dog over 50 pounds.
Dose daily for 60 days, then dose for 30 days every three months for the rest of your dog’s life to prevent cancer recurrence or metastasis.
- Take Ave/AveUltra two hours after or two hours prior to taking any drugs or other dietary supplements.
- Not to be given to a dog with gluten, wheat germ, or stevia sensitivities, or malabsorption syndrome.
- Discontinue taking Avemar 2 days before barium X-ray contrast examinations and resume 2 days after the completion of the examination.
- Please note that Ave/AveUltra is temperature sensitive and must be shipped by express delivery (2 Day) with an ice pack.
- Best to refrigerate after receiving.
Avemar has been the subject of close to 100 studies in cell lines resulting in more than 20 articles in peer-reviewed medical journals.
- Avemar research abstracts. Search with the terms: Avemar and “fermented wheat germ.”
- Full text of most of the English language, peer-reviewed publications.
Other Natural Immune Boosters to Consider are ACHH, Resveratrol, and K9 Immunity.
*Reference for Pet Life Formua: A Holistic Approach for the Treatment of Cancer by Joe Demers, DVM, CVA, CVH